Spiga

First Weigh-in

Right now I feel like doing what the chimp in the picture is doing: hiding my face from embarrassment. I decided to start my journey to weight loss with natural body cleansing, and I succeeded the first night, but after that, things went down hill. Apparently, the fruits, vegetables and juice weren't keeping me satisfied. I felt hungry all the time, so what did I do, I ended up overeating with all the wrong foods. The result: more weight to lose. Yep, unfortunately, my first weigh-in was not a success. Now instead of weighing 277lbs., I weigh 284!

I still ate fruits and vegetables and exercised on the Ab Lounge, but a few of my meals and snacks were unhealthy choices. Moreover, I continued to skip meals, which they say is the worst thing you can do. I think the most challenging thing for me is working midnights. I write better at night when everyone is in bed sleeping. It's during this time when the house is quiet. Besides, I'm not a morning person and never have been. I usually have supper around 7:00pm, but since I sleep during the day, I end up skipping breakfast. Then, because I'm up working all night, I end up snacking at all hours during the night. I try to snack on fruits and vegetables, but I'm thinking it's not a good thing to be snacking throughout the night when most people are sleeping. While I can't change my work hours, I will try to snack less during the night, but I'm not sure how to do the breakfast thing. I usually end up going to bed at breakfast, and I've read it's not good to eat then sleep. Any suggestions?

So my first attempt failed, and some of my choices were wrong. That's okay, though; I'll just change the things I believe were wrong and start fresh. I know God will help me, but I have to be willing to help myself too. With that said, I'm praying for God to help me fight the temptations.

Stay with me; I know I can do it, and I will prove it. And even though it doesn't seem like it right now, I am determined to succeed and meet my goal weight; I'm just having a really tough time adjusting to the changes I guess. Please pray for me as I continue my journey to weight loss, and feel free to share any weight loss tips you may have in the comments section.

Photo credit: Greencolander

4 comments:

  Anonymous

8/16/2008 3:07 PM

Fruits late at night are a big no-no. Too much sugar at a time when you can't use it for anything (so it will get stored in your body and lead to weight gain). Veggies are ok, or try a small protein snack, such as some nuts, a small piece of cheese or a yogurt. Snacking at night is not that bad if you choose the right foods.

If you're in bed, then you don't have to eat breakfast. The rule is that you should eat something within 60 minutes of getting up (whatever the time is). I work in the computer at night too so I'm rarely up before 11am. So I just make it a point to eat something light within an hour (a yogurt, scrambled eggs, cereal). Eating like this stabilizes your blood sugar and fends off cravings.

  Lillie Ammann

8/17/2008 7:53 AM

Misti,
I intend to go on this journey with you, but I haven't been able to go shopping so haven't started yet. I work at night and sleep during the day so understand the challenge of a meal schedule with unusual hours. My goal is to have breakfast when I get up—no matter what time it is—then spread meals from there. I snack a lot at night while I'm working. When I've been successful at weight loss in the past, I've eaten several small meals throughout the day so that's what I plan to do.

  Dragon Angel

8/17/2008 9:00 AM

Fruit juice is very high on hte glycemic index. When you drink it, all it does is make you hungry so you are practically forced to eat again. You might find it useful to read the South Beach diet book, because that book is all about healthy eating without the hunger.

  Misti Sandefur, Christian author/freelance writer

8/18/2008 11:16 PM

Diana, thanks so much for more of your wonderful tips! I will certainly remember and apply them.

Lillie, Working unusual hours does seem confusing, doesn't it? However, the tips Diana has been leaving are really helpful for those of us who work nights.

Do keep me updated on your progress when you do begin your diet. I'd love to hear about your progress as well. I believe you still have my e-mail, so if you don't want want to announce certain things to the public, feel free to e-mail me.

Dragon angel, I thought I felt more hungry when I was drinking fruit juice; thanks for the advice. I believe I'll continue drinking water, and I'm going to buy some green tea Friday, because I hear that's good for those trying to diet.

I think my mom has the South Beach Diet book, so I may borrow it from her for additional tips.