Spiga

Is It Really Low in Fat?

As I ventured to the kitchen to start supper this evening, I discovered that someone had cooked and eaten all the spaghetti noodles. The only solution in order to have the spaghetti I had planned for supper was to take a 14 mile drive to the grocery store. Although my actual grocery shopping is done on Fridays, I figured I'd at least check out the local farmer's stand on my way, as well as the labels on what I had planned to buy for my journey to weight loss.

Once in the grocery store, I headed straight for the vegetable section. While my plans included buying fruits and vegetables for the week, I love veggie dip with cauliflower, so I decided to read the labels on the veggie dips. I read the label on the regular one and then compared it with a fat-free veggie dip. Would you believe the only difference in the labels was the regular veggie dip had 1 gram more fat calories than the low-fat? It's true, that was the only difference. The calories and everything else were the same, but to top it off, it only had 1 gram less of fat than the regular veggie dip. Truth be told, it's not really low in fat, now is it?

Even though I'd determined I could go with the regular veggie dip, I still opted out of buying it, because it does contain a lot of calories. Oh well, I'll eat my cauliflower raw or in salad with Italian dressing (unfortunately, I'm giving up my favorite Ranch dressing for Italian).

My next stop, after spending approximately 20 minutes comparing food labels in the grocery store, was the local farmer's stand. There I priced organic fruits and vegetables, since I like homegrown tomatoes, peaches and etc. better than store-bought. I had only planned on pricing the fruits and vegetables I wanted to buy Friday (or should I say today, as it's after midnight), but I ended up purchasing 3lbs. of tomatoes anyway. Then on my way back to the van, the lady asked me if I wanted a box of peaches she had. I started to tell her I'd be back tomorrow to buy more, but she told me they were free. Since peaches were on my list, I took them and thanked her for her generosity. I appreciated the free peaches, and I'm sure she'll appreciate my business (I plan on becoming a regular).

0 comments: